A Note: One of the goals of ServeINC is to Proclaim the Gospel. As we prepare for this years service project we’ll be posting some blogs about Evangelism, to help you get more comfortable sharing the Gospel with friends, neighbors, co-workers, and any who might ask you why you’d spend a Saturday serving your community.
Introduction – The basics of the gospel:
- We have sinned and sin separates us from God.
- Jesus died for our sins.
- We need to believe in the provision God made for our sins through Christ’s death on the cross.
The gospel message in a nutshell: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 says, “Moreover, brothers, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also you have received, and wherein you stand; By which also you are saved, … how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”
One question that can introduce the topic of salvation is: “Has anyone ever told you that God loves you?” You can share that God loves them – John 3:16: God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. Another question you can ask is: “do you know where you are going when you die?”
There are several tools you can use to share the gospel message. Here are three: ABC, The Romans Road, and the Four Spiritual Laws.
ABC – “its as simple as ABC”
A – Admit your need. Realize you are a sinner. Rom 3:23 – for all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory.
B – Believe Jesus died for you. John 3:16 – God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whosoever believes will not perish but have everlasting life.
C- Confess/pray. Romans 10:13, Acts 16:31-
Romans Road – a tool sharing only from the Book of Romans
- Romans 3:23 – all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory
- Romans 6:23 – the wages of sin is death, but the gift if God is eternal life through Christ.
- Romans 5:8 – God demonstrated His love in that while we were sinners , Christ died for us.
- Romans 10:13 – whosoever shall call upon the Lord shall be saved.
The Four Spiritual Laws model.
- GOD LOVES YOU and wants a personal relationship with you. (John 3:16) God wants to know you personally (John 17:3) and created you (Ps. 139:13-14). Why is it that so many people do not have a personal relationship with God?
- Your SIN keeps you from a personal relationship with God. (Rom 3:23) Sin is doing wrong or failing to do what is right (James 4:17). Our sin separates us from God and the penalty for sin is eternal separation from God (Isa 59:2, Romans 6:23). What is the solution to our separation from God?
- JESUS CHRIST died and rose again so that your sins could be forgiven. (1 Peter 3:18). Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins (Rom 5:8). He rose again to prove He has power of forgiveness (1 Cor 15:3-6). Jesus is the only way to have a relationship with God (John 14:6). How can we begin a personal relationship with God?
- You must personally TRUST Jesus to be your savior (John 1:12 “To all who received Him, He gave the right to become children of God. All they needed to do was to trust Him to save them”. Trusting Jesus means to turn to God from your own way of living and receive God’s gift of salvation (Eph 2:8-9). So, here’s the question: “Are you ready for a personal relationship with God?”
For further study: Here is a list of verses you can know and memorize for personal evangelism:
1 Cor 15:22
1 John 5:10-13